Thursday, November 13, 2008

It's coming to an end


Well, it is kind of old news now, but my alma mater and employer, Cascade College, will close in May of 2009. This truly was a shock to everyone at Cascade, me included. My reaction was one of sadness, but it didn't affect me as much as I would have expected.

Though this decision leaves me unemployed (in a few months anyway), mixed in with my grief is relief. As I have mentioned many time on this blog, the struggle of finding success in athletics at Cascade was a weight on my mind and affected my life adversely sometimes - sleep patterns, time with the family etc. With the cause of my worry removed, at least my anxiety should decrease.

The irony is, this has been perhaps the best season of Thunderbird sports in many years. Men's soccer finished 11-8-1 and won a playoff game for the first time since 2001. Volleyball finished 8-19 and won several matches late in the season over teams they had previously been beaten by. Men's and women's basketball have yet to lose, (though they just got started) and seem ready to be competitive.

I am just very grateful that the campus community reacted to the news with a determination to make this last year a great one at Cascade, because it very easily could have been the opposite.

I think I will withhold my opinions about the closing of Cascade for a later date. (I have a few believe me!) What Cascade or OC should have done differently is a matter of debate, but I want chew on the subject for awhile so I don't say (or type) something I will regret.

3 comments:

KMiV said...

Good post Cody. It is exciting to see the campus band together.

Katie said...

Sorry to hear that stressful times are ahead for you and your family.

I will keep you and yours in my prayers.

P.S.
Way to go on such a great season. Did you catch any of the Civil War game. Holy mole`!

thatsmrblue2u said...

Hey Codes!

Yeah a real bummer man! How ya doing otherwise? Me? just livin le vida loca baby! Workin at Intel, for the time being anyway, who knows what will happen next week. Oh well, God will put me where He wants me. Que sera sera. Or in French se la vide. Anyway, keep in touch with me will ya? johnahouse@hotmail.com