Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Foot in Mouth Disease

I read the latest (June 2009) Christian Chronicle in which there is an article about the closing of Cascade College. I am quoted in the article, and after I read it my heart sunk in to my stomach.

As I recall, the conversation I had with the writer from the Chronicle was concerning my efforts in the athletic department at Cascade and the fact that I had yet to find employment. Yet the quote from me that makes it in the article was my opinion on the impact of Cascade on churches in the northwest.

First of all, I am the last person who should be asked about the health of churches in the northwest. I am not a minister, nor do I have any expertise on what makes a church strong or weak. There are many leaders in so called "weak" churches that are doing vital ministry every day. I am not sure why the writer of this article choose to quote an assistant athletic director about Cascade's impact on anything, except perhaps small college sports.

To anyone who works in ministry in any capacity at all churches in the northwest, I apologize. I fear that my comments were disparaging to your work in service to the Lord.

No comments: