Thursday, February 07, 2008

Mental Health

A pair of funny/scary incidents recently: A former student at Cascade threatened some people on campus via e-mail, and was arrested and hospitalized.

A few days ago, a ragged looking man knocked on my front door late at night. I didn't answer but he knocked few times more, and then just stood there. For about 20 minutes, just standing on my front porch, staring at the door. The Vancouver Police came and took care of him. (A friend of his came and picked him up, I guess.) I have no clue what he wanted, but there was no way I was going to answer the door.

My wife works in the mental health field. She has seen plenty of people who struggle - depression, anxiety, paranoia, etc. Kinda sad actually. The drugs to treat these things are huge business.

1 comment:

Tim said...

I've had a similar thing happen once. A hispanic man came knocking on our door at 2 am and then realized he wanted the door across from us. Our neighbors ended up getting evicted not long after this incident. Their place always smelled like cat pee. I'm pretty sure they were cooking meth, or at least using it a lot.